Building a private application

Hi,

I’m in the process of trying to build a private application coming from my own personal use, that will list my articles in my Patreon account.

In going through the process of trying to get my API keys, the form keeps giving me an “internal error” with no other information.

Also, since this is a private use app only that I use from the command line of my VPS, do I need to fill out the URL information going particularly redirect URL? No other individual is expected to use this application except myself.

Thank you in advance.

Make sure that you are entering the redirect url correctly.

do I need to fill out the URL information going particularly redirect URL?

Yes, its an oAuth2 client.

Based upon this, Is it safe for me to assume that there is no such thing as a private app that can function from the command line only without having to utilize URL functionality from the application interface on the website?

My goal is to periodically scan my various posts a compare it to a list I store locally. When I post does not found in my local list, simply put out an announcement within my social networks. It is very much a back end and under the hood process that will never see user interaction.

Thank you in advance.

My goal is to periodically scan my various posts a compare it to a list I store locally

You can just paginate your posts by using api v2’s /posts endpoint and save them locally.

https://docs.patreon.com/#get-api-oauth2-v2-campaigns-campaign_id-posts

Just use your creator access token. (you still will need to provide a redirect url - any would do). With your creator access token that comes with your client, you dont need to authorize via web.

How does this work with post that are subscriber only?

I think that is the issue as I can’t get the tokens without going through the URL aspects of creating the client.

I never anticipated needing to prepare a terms of service or any of the other aspects referred to on the client creation page or the redirect uri for that matter.

Thank you for the information. It does at least points me into the right direction.

Your creator access token would have total access to your campaign since it was created for your app. Including all of your posts. You dont need to authorize anything. You can just create the client and use the creator access token immediately.