Recognizing an user as a Patreon user when the account pre-exists?

I have a very custom implementation where I make use of the Patreon for WordPress plugin’s functions to handle users of my application who log in with Patreon.

Right now, I’ve got everything working: a user can sign up with Patreon, it creates an account on the website, and I’ve tied in the plugin’s functions to activate premium features if they’re an active patron.

However, the only snag: if they already made an account on the website (using my built-in registration unrelated to Patreon), Patreon sends them to the login page and tells them to log in, presumably because it finds the email address they’re trying to log in with Patreon in WordPress as an existing account.

Which is all fine and good, but when they log in normally (using WordPress), the functions that check if the user is a Patreon user don’t work after they’re logged in. I’m guessing because Patreon hasn’t saved any access token for the pre-existing user, so it doesn’t see the user as linked to Patreon.

Has anyone encountered this? What was your approach?

Another thought in reading some posts here:

Is there a button from the plugin that connects an account to Patreon (or initiates the flow) after they log into WordPress? That is, if it exists I could place it in their account center so they can click it to connect the account.

Pre-existing users who have the same email at your website that they have at Patreon must log into your website manually by using your website’s login methods before connecting their Patreon accounts to your website. This is a security measure.

Is there a button from the plugin that connects an account to Patreon (or initiates the flow) after they log into WordPress? That is, if it exists I could place it in their account center so they can click it to connect the account.

If you send the users to Patreon login at any point, it should accomplish the above. You can find the shortcode that prints out a login link in the code. Or, you could check your wp-login.php page and just use the link in the Patreon login button there.